Monday, December 12, 2005

India: An Experimental backpacking to the North & Goa

Part 12 (Ending, very bad ending, boring one)

Goa, 1st day

It was a Palorem beach and it was my second time. The first time was exactly 6 month ago. My objective and mission was clear, to have a good life and on that day of my arrival, I started my good life.

The palm trees, the golden sand on the beach, the coco huts, the volatile level waves, the swaying of trees, the beach dogs and everything made me felt like I was there yesterday. After a round of searching for good hut, I settle in on a hut, lay on the front of the beach. A hut that enable me to view the beach and the morning sun and straight up to heaven with a block of any matter. First sign on good life.

Second sign of good life was when I invited myself a good Goan lunch at Kates café. My lunch was prawn curry rice and a cold beer. I was reading the fascinating book and story was about the struggle surviving cancer by Louis Armstrong. It was a very inspirational and emotional book.

Another famous thing in Goa was the full body massage. That’s what I did after lunch. It was a full body massage. Yes it was only my first half day and I was already having the dream life of any man working on the street or in the office, people who have money and cars but didn’t have sufficient time to live youthful life. I was the opposite.

Song: Your winter by Sister Hazel & Yesterday’s gone by Lenny Kravitz

And without I realize it my first day was gone. I was alone and I had a good life. I only spent 30 minutes on the beach.

My all time top 5 Actors

1. Al Pacino
2. Denzel Washington
3. Johnny Depp
4. Leonardo DeCaprio
5. Kevin Spacey


Goa, 2nd day

So the morning has broken. I woke up like usual with the sun still a little shy away from the sky, blues sky, colored by the whitening clouds. I went to the nearest café or hut by the beach to feed myself a health breakfast and had myself a serenity of the morning Goa.

In the café I met a very strong and healthy old man from Israel. We had a very interesting conversation. At one point of our conversation, he was recalled of his bitter youth of the then shaky and war thorn between Israel and Egypt, back in 1973. While his friends attending Woodstock and foreign universities, he was in a tank or sometime on feet fighting with the Egyptians army. It was a tragic memory or sometime a poignant one especially when he think of how his close friends killed in the battlefields. He almost came to tears but somehow he managed to hold back.

Then came along one beautiful girl. She was alone and was wearing sunshade. She walked in the café and seating by herself, watching and enjoying the serenity of the beach and sky. The Israelis left me to rejoin with his fellow friends and so I was alone. I told myself it’s time to hook up with the beautiful girl and so I brave myself to talk to her. I took a last sip of black tea and walked to her table and without even a slight of hesitation I said hi and asked her if I may join her. And not much of her surprise, she said yes and there it goes, I had her acquaintance until the last day of her in Goa.

Her name is Arielle. She is from Vancouver, Canada but working in Cannes, Australia. She was traveling alone. I invited her to a dinner with me which of course she could never deny since I was quite charming at it.

I read Lance Armstrong’s autobiography few more chapters and later in the evening I joined some local kids and some travelers to play beach soccer.

We had a dinner at Sameer café, serving one of the finest steaks, seafood and western varieties in Palorem. I ordered myself chicken steak sizzle and she ordered fish steak. It was a candlelight dinner by the beach. It was a memorable and somewhat romantic night. We shared lot in common especially in music, books and movies. Talking about movies, she was once actively act as an extra in various Hollywood movies. Among them with Ben Affleck in Paycheck, Luke Perry in some TV series and Courtney Love.

Her all time top 5 actors/actress

1. Al Pacino
2. Edward Norton
3. Meg Ryan
4. Renee Zelwegar
5. Nicholas Cage

3rd Day, Goa.

Arielle and I met up in the morning for breakfast. It was also good to have someone around to acquaintance with especially in Goa but without any string attached. We just meet up whenever we both want and have a nice time together engaged in a very interesting conversation. And when either of us want to do something alone, we just split and met up again at promised time.

So after a very delicious breakfast, I rented a bike and so together with her, we cruise the village and outskirt of Goa. It was really nice. We went to a 5 star hotel and suntanned on the beach. The beach was empty and it was only the two of us and the ocean and its lovely waves. It was as only the two of us in the universe. Occasionally we batched in the deep ocean and splashing crazily at each other. I was done with Lance Armstrong and started to read “The Kingfisher” which was also a motion picture starring Robbie William and Jeff Bridges.

We separated for a while for the whole afternoon and we met up again for dinner. This time we went to Marita café. It was a nice little café which allowed you to play your own choice of Cds.

It was also a few tables, lighted with a candle and facing the ocean. Instead of both of us seating facing each other, we were seating side by side facing the ocean, occasionally producing the little waves that hitting the shore and hence producing the Mexican waves. I ordered a prawn curry rice and Goan fry chilly chicken while she was ordering veg. Pakoda and fish steak sizzle.

I then started to play my own set of CD. To accompany the most romantic dinner, I first put Nina Simone’s hits and classical jazz.

The night was long and beautiful. She left the day after that. In Goa I also met up with a very interesting person, a Gary chap from England. He stayed in the hut next to me. We hung out quite a lot especially the time when me and Arielle separated to do our own thing. Most time, we were just seating and hanging out in his hut, smoking hash non stop, listening to good music and had lot of coffee. It was so funny that we were smoking hash for a continuous 6 hours, non stop, one after another. Interesting conversation hold us up together. A lot of thing I did learned from this Gary guy. Like always be nice and to people and be humble, don’t show off.

Gary came from a broken family. And through his youth, he had been to many countries, some with hard life like Greece, South Africa, Germany and etc. He speak Spanish, German and Hindi. He has a knack for language. He used to play in a same team with Ryan Giggs during his prime for Manchester United under 16.

The 4 days in Goa sign off this tiring journal and also my story through my experimental traveling through North of India, Pune and Goa. Honestly I am very tired and bored and who the hell is reading this crap anyway?? With that I say goodbye. (to myself)

Peter Ooi.

3 comments:

Brinston said...

nice blog, my friend. I'm glad u liked goa... it's my home.

Pete said...

Hey

I wasnt aware that you had commented on this posting. Didnt that someone would have read my lengthy blog posting.

I tried to view your blog but there isnt any link to your profile

Peter

JUZAR said...

hey peter well if u dont mind could u let me know exactly when did u take this trip and how did u start i am new to the backpacking community and i need to learn what and how much stuff to carry and where to start i did like ur blog especially the part where u actually made a friend in GOA with no strings attached......that was completely a COOL dude statement.........
Awaiting ur reply
Juzar