Monday, December 27, 2004

This ain't a love song






Namaste to all and Merry Christmas!!

It is that time of the year again where we celebrate the wonder and joy of Christmas, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus Christ. This year, the gift I got for myself was a new tooth cap. As you may know, last week was a disaster to my front tooth but now, I got a new one, and you know what?? It looks better than before. Great.

It was my first time to celebrate Christmas out of Malaysia and the feeling was somewhat strange and yet, wonderful. All of us, about 15 of us attended a Christmas mass (service) at St. Patrick Church.

Growing up in attending as protestant Christian myself, it was my first time to attend a Christmas mass in Catholic Church. The service was held at midnight and there were about 1,000- 2,000 attendees. The church was quite big, with open space, covered by big trees, beautifully decorated with neon lights, colored papers and Christmas trees. The building of are mostly quite old (but well-preserved), with statues of Mother Mary, Jesus on the cross and some artistic painting (I was confused for a moment thinking I was in the Vatican, hehe).

There was a stage where the bishop conducted the service and the Holy Communion, together with his konco-konco, with I think is a local pastors (fathers). This bishop didn’t look or sound Indian at all. With the big mahogany chair, the stage looks to me like a pope and his cardinals addressing his followers in the Vatican City.

It is still winter season in India and it was really cold at night especially in Pune, the paradise city of India, where everyone in India dreams to come and reside, because it is not only economically developed, it also less crowded, good climate and just simply happening. The degree was about 10 degree that night. It was the coldest Christmas night I ever experienced. You can see those attendees were in blazer or winter coat, cap and glove.

And trust me, lots of chicks who look like actress from Bollywood were also there. Well…now I know, where is all the 'happening' chicks is hiding!

And in the street, you can see lots of Santa Clause, promoting some events or giving out small gift, in petrol station or just being there to greet people.

You can also see people warming themselves with the wood fire or self light fire.

We went back home at about 2am and hung around with hot tea (a must before we go to bed, also my new addiction) until 3am before I closed my eyes for sweet dreams. (Or nightmare)

Saturday morning, I woke up afresh. David, Anna, Marielle, Maike and I went to MG road meat market to shop for preparation for Christmas dinner where we would exchange presents and have a real Christmas dinner.

For the Caucasian, Europeans and the whites, they were quite surprise and shocked with the big, messy, wet markets. For me, I was not as much surprise as them, as the wet market also almost similar to ours back home. But of course, theirs is smell more terrible, dirtier, messier etc. They also slaughter the goats, the chickens and other livestock “live” in front of us 'spectators'.

So lots blood flowing down the drain and “sound of animal screaming in fear and pain”.

In MG road, we also shopped for Christmas presents. All of us need to buy one present for a person which his or her name we drew from the bag earlier. I brought “Memoir of Geisha” for Veronica and another three books for myself; Mitch Albom’s “Tuesday with Morris”, Paula Coelho’s “The Alchemist” and “The devil and the prym”.

It looks like original but it was imitation one. In total for the 4 books I spent about RM 20. I haven’t read Paula Coelho before but through the synopsis, and high recommendation from a Mr. Alan Toh, Omar, Veronica and some local Indians, I decided to buy it. The problem is, I am not sure how am I suppose to transport back all this junk when I go back to Malaysia.

And speaking of books, I am now reading Dan brown’s “Angel & Demons” and I am half way through. It is a superb good read. It is about the clash and debate about the importance of science and religion, particularly the church. While the characters are fictional, all facts and places is factual especially an insight into the operation and hierarchy of the Vatican City. Yik Hun, forget about Clancy and all your P&G motivational books, I think you need to read this one.

Veronica, from Budapest, the girl who I would like to think in a funny way resemble that of The Cranberris’s vocalist or Sinead O’ Connor cooks for us a very nice, tasty Hungarian Christmas dinner.

There were about 20 people. It was held in our A20 apartment and it was a long decorated dinner. After the dinner, and a taste of Republic of Czech’s rum (apparently ban in the EU countries) and Greece’s liquor, we proceeded to a moment where everyone was anticipating, the present exchange.

Veronica was very happy to receive my gift as she always want to read it. My mysterious giver was Tom UK, the Paul Bettany lookalike. He gave me a smoking stuff, most probably one of the greatest Christmas present I had. It was a smoking pipe in disguise of pen-torchlight and screw-bolt stuff. Together with smoking pipe, an ashtray made by muddy-sand, with big marijuana plant on it and hole on the astray are specially made for joint, not cigarette. Last thing was a weed/grass filter. Without doubt, the present to me can be considered one of its kinds.

After the Christmas dinner, we went to the most happening club, EL. Lots of people like it but frankly, I didn’t quite enjoy that place. The landscape is cool and relaxing but I hated the music they played (mostly techno and no proper timing and arrangement), the overloud speaker and the crowded crowd. John, Michael the CDD and I went back earlier, followed by David, Marielle and Anna. Together we clean the messy house and 30 minutes after that; we enjoyed a bowl of hot tea, with cigarette.

Sunday morning, I woke up around 11 something. It was a good feeling especially when I realized I wasn’t suffers from any dope of hangover. About 1pm, Anna and I went to Barista, a great coffee café, on par with that of starbuck café with wide garden and trees, swing and chairs where the guest can lay down or sleep as they wish.

Barista is located opposite near the peaceful meditation center of Osho commune international. By the way, Barista is also a place where I spent most of my Sunday afternoon, drinking coffee, smoking and reading my books. So, Anna and I spent all of our afternoon at Barista, drinking Ice latte and creamy cappuccino. We talk quite lots, some on music, John Lennon, Clapton and his “Layla”, to some social unrest issues, family and friends and also reading books.

Barista also provide a guitar ala Santana for house guest to play while drinking coffee. With my very limited “than chiak” guitar strumming skill, I played my all time great intro of “lake of fire”, “about a girl”, “the unforgiven” and “zombie” and some early chapel songs.

Please don’t think I am the university Chinese dude with guitar playing “when you say nothing at all” to their “ah lean & ah hwa” because Anna knew I didn’t how to play a guitar in the first place and my expertise were for other instrument.

While in Barista, spending beautiful times together, we had been approached by this “overfriendly” Indian guy, in his 40s, married with wife and kids. In a short span of time, he took our photos, took down our contacts and emails and keep reminding of not to forget about him. He also invited us to his house for dinner. At the beginning of conversation, we were delighted at the invitation but at the end, we were having a second thought. Oh, by the way, his name is “Suresh”.

Since we didn’t have breakfast and lunch, so were quite hungry when the sun goes down at 5.30pm. We walked for about 25 minutes to “Get together Pizza Hot” and had great dinner. We were having cheese salami sausage pizza and basic pizza, with banana lassi. Speaking of Anna, honestly, she’s quite cute and pretty and fun to be with. The way she dance can made you go-go like ago-go…

Like I said, she’s a rock chick and quite knowledgeable person, not only musically but worldly. She looks like Halena-Bonham Carter in the movie “Live from Baghdad” together with Michael Keaton but smaller size la…

I told her about the song of “Anna” from Dream Theatre and the Spanish movie of “Anna & Otto” (Florence, do you remember this movie??)

Next week, thanks to DHL, I will receive some of my favorite CD from home and one of them are Dream Theatre.

She also happen to have lots of great rock classic songs including that of Lynryd Skynrd’s “simple man” (one of her all time favorite), Kansas’s “Dust in the wind”, Cat Steven’s “Morning has broken” and etc. Man…those bands I discover in my teen which I almost forgot about them, musically, but she kind of reintroduced them to me.

One of my favorite songs which I kept playing is “superstitious” by Stevie wonder. (Always remind me of the time at Hard Rock café where Billy Sheehan of Mr. Big jamming with A.Samad.) Kek, how we wish we can do it again, huhJ

The songs that stuck in our heads are Eric Clapton’s “Layla”. So, there it goes, whole Sunday spent with Anna. Right now, you must be thinking I must be a chi ko pek or something similar right?? Wilson will be thinking…what la this fucker, Turkish want, Italian want now Greek also want…

As the subject of the blog already stated clearly, this ain’t a love song. This is just an ordinary song.

At night, we went to C1, another trainee’s condo, located next lane to watched “Euro trip”, a movie I watched for 3 times already. Tell you, this movie although is about Europe, but none of the Europeans knows about it. But of course everyone likes it because the places the people the events are well known to them. After the movie, we had a spontaneous “Hat Party” where John (from NZ) was the DJ of the house.

He was a good DJ, with all his gadget and equipment and stuff, playing mix of rock, trance, house and R&B. One of the early songs played was “Euro trip” theme; “Scotty doesn’t know”. Why hat party? Because everyone had to wear something or their head, be it reggae cap, baseball cap, cowboy hat or whatever la…We kept dancing and rocking for about 90 minutes.

After the hat party, we went to Deepak’s party (which actually not a party but just makan-ing). Quite a good hang out place but a rather sad party. No girls no good music, nothing. Maklum la…most of the Indian girl still very conservative.

We spent about 30 minutes and then we went home, which is just one floor down. Anna & I spent time in the ever chilling balcony, singing Eric Clapton's "Layla"

What'll you do when you get lonely
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.
Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.
I tried to give you consolation
When your old man had let you down.
Like a fool, I fell in love with you,
Turned my whole world upside down....

before the must “tea time”.

OK, I am sorry if I bore you with music stuff and book stuff. But thanks really, for reading my crap.

Love & regards,
Peter



No comments: