Tuesday, December 14, 2004

To Dimebag Darrell--Rest in peace





Namaste my blog-army (copying KISS of greeting their fans)

For the first time I am writing from my home, sweet home. And for the first time I didn´t write this in my office. I don´t know why but somehow I have a feeling that no ones is reading my crap except for a few. But read or no read, I don´t really care. I mean why I should I care whether people read or not, at the end of the day, I am the one that going to look back on those days. But for those who really read, whether to kill time or really interested in knowing what´s up with me or for whatever, just keep in mind that I appreciate it and will remember for a long time to come.

Before I go on, I would like to tribute this writing or updates as a condelence to Mr Dimebag Darrell, ex- guitarist and ex co-founder of one of the greatest thrash-metal band on earth, PANTERA!!

The late rockstar pass away few days ago, just 10 minutes into his gig, with his new formed band: DAMAGEPLAN. He was shot to death by an unknown shooter who went up to the stage and started his shooting spree and kill four other people.

Maybe some of you will ask, who is him or who´s Pantera?

Pantera means lots to me as far as rock musics in concern although I didn´t really dig into their music, the way I dig Guns n´Roses or Poison.

1993 was the year when my childhood friend (Zuwairi) introduced rock music to me and the first band that got into my head was Pantera, followed by Sonic Youth and Acid Rain and Cromok. Those were the cassette day. This was even before I knew about Hendrix, Nirvana, GnR, The Doors or The Beatles.

Since then, I got hook onto the evolution of Rock Music, all the way back to the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and millenium. From The Beatles in the 60s, to The Eagles in the 70s, GnR in the 80s, Nirvana in the 90s and The Darkness in the 00. So on and so forth. From reading biography, to so much of influences. And later my musical expertise and knowledge expanded to Bob Marley, Jazz and Early blues of Johnson, BB King, John Mayer and Clapton.

My point is, my deep interest for Rock music right now might not be in me if my friend didn´t introduced PANTERA to me. My favourite album was “Vulgar on Display” and my favourite songs was “cowboy from hell” and “Hollow”.

With his demise, there is more reason for me to keep hanging PANTERA poster (The southern trend killer) on my room´s wall. I am sorry for this unwanted incident that had claimed one of the world´s great guitarist, on par with that of Satriani, Steve Val and Paul gilbert. I don´t know how many people will need to die for US of A to change their gun control policy.

So what´s up with me. Right now is 10:15 pm and Inge, christianne´s friend, just went off. She came to informed me to go to her place this Wednesday to smoke out and have a drink and get-together. They are leaving in 10 days time. I am alone in the living room with cigarette and hot tea, accompany by the jazz of Norah Jones, Omar is working out while David and Marielle is in the kitchen, having dinner.

Digging back to last weekend, it was one of the greatest. Friday night was great because there were string of event and parties to attend. Simply because it was a FRIDAY NIGHT.

First, Omar, Thomas and I were invited by my company´s chairman, Dr Neusyed Forbes to his awesome balcony, some 5 minutes walking distance from my house. It is a fortnight event where he will invite some friends, directors and partners to hang around his condo, discussing about social unrest and issues, from social economics to politics and everything else except work related stuff. It is kind of social gathering and his way of getting close with his employees. ( I think)

His condo was great. It is a 6 floor condo, one floor one unit, so you can imagine, how big it was. The interior was amazing, complete with a complete library, audio visual room and great artistic painting. I saw his collection of Sinatra, Beatles, Beethowen and the likes, DVD of Frasier and other great movies and great books like biography of Stalin & Hitler, Adam Smith´s The wealth of Nation and many more.

Anyway, the discussion was about “China as the next economy powerhouse and how should India learn from them”. My chairman is a DR at Stamford University, California and his knowledge is undoubtable even though it wasn´t about engineering. He is also a head of CII (Confederation of India Industry).

It was a great pleasure to share and exchange knowledge with these people while being serve varieties of 5 star foods and 5 star collection of alcoholic drink namely Bacardi, whiskey, Rum etc.

I was lucky as I managed to get into the groove of discussion. Shit, as expected, Omar interupted me with roll of hash and suddenly, living room are now with David and Marielle.

As I was saying, I was lucky that I can get along with the discussion because I did a project paper on “China´s FDI (Foreign Direct Investment” in my sophomore year”.

See, my life here is not about stone and drunk, it is also about acquiring knowledge and seek a way to understand the place and people around you. I will be going for a kids performance for charity next two week or so and also might be participating in National adventure race in February, together with my house mates.

After a few shots of Bacardi limon and full stomach of great foods, we left the house and went back home. We were suppose to go to Iranian party but we kept procastcinating. Omar and I hooked up with Inge and Christianne to Shisha café. We thought we would go to Iranian party after Shisha but we went back the Christianne and Inge´s room instead. Hash, radiohead and alanis Morisette coloured our night and we stayed until 3am.

I reached home around 3.30 am and slept for about 2 hours and later to be waken up by Marielle.

Early Saturday morning, Marielle, myself, Maike, Michael the coombian drug dealer (CDD) and the new Germany trainee, Mario went to Matheran Hill station, about 3 hours away from where I lived. One of the greatest place, also recommended by the Lonely planet.

We went there with a local train. The train ride remind me of Mumbai but this one was better. Reached the bottom of the hill and we had about 2 hours before departed with the toy train to the top of the hill. The toy train ride took us about 2 hours and the journey was fantastic. We sang all the way and mimicking all the animal´s sound like little kids going up to Penang Hill.

The top was so high up and it was so scary yet so interesting. Imagine riding the train along and around the hill, without edges.

The special thing about this hill station is like a huge village, with string of mid class hotels, shops and café. All machine vehicle is banned and the only mode of transportation is horses and rickshaw and wagon. So, there isn´t any pollution. There is 12 point to stop at, with different point different view. The similarities of all 12 point is, overlooking the huge and serene view from 800 m, above sea level. The first day, we walked non stop. We reached the sunset point where lots of people were waiting for the sunset. The sun set down the V shape, in between two mountain. There is also lots of Monkey. Mario and I saw a monkey fucking another monkey and we started singing “pretty fly for a white guy” by Offspring.

It was 6.30 and we realized it was completely dark and we bump into group of local traveller. So together we found our way out through the darkness of the quiet jungle. There is this fascist and drunk Indian kept talking about crap like India greater than Paskistan and stuff like that.

Interuption. David is defrozing the refrigerator and there it goes, snowball war. Norah Jones time is up and now on the air is Eric Clapton´s The Clapton chronicles.

We hung out at night in our room with beers and musics, nothing special. After that, we went to our hotel´s restaurent for a late dinner.

In the morning. We travelled to the rest of the point with horses. Trust me, the horse here is not like those horse in Ayer Itam, sick and waiting for heaven´s gate to be open. The are the horses at the peak of their life, instead of stable, they work here in the hill station and for part time, some of the horses are doing real horse racing.

So there it goes, jungle tracking the top hill side with horse. It was my first time riding the horse. Riding the horse my first time really hurt my two ball. It wasn´t easy but somehow I managed to cope with it.

This part have to be written down, if not I will not forgive myself. We reached one of the point and we saw this view, all the way down, with huge lake and big river, peaceful villages. Michael the CDD and I decided to dump the horse and the rest of the journey by walking down the hill and climbing up again. Every step down the hill and up the hill was a one last breath. Just hoping on the edge of the rocks and narrow angles without any equipment. I falled and slide, some minor injuries but it was fun. The village from top was like the size of a cow, so you can imagine…(I will invite you to my photo gallery once I am done)

I think I am writing too long. So I am gonna cut it short. We left the hill station and took the train back home. We reached Pune 10 something in the evening.

John Archer, the new trainee from New Zealand has arrived. Cool guy, I think.

Monday blues as usual. Thomas, Omar and I started our Steam engineering course today and will be going on until Friday.

So that´s all, the night is about to begin and I am gonna stop right here. Sweet dream…

Merry Christmas Malaysia, Denmark, Vietnam, Germany and the world!!!

Love & regards,
Peter.

P/s: Remember Laura?? She visited us and asked about me when I was at Hill station. She will be going back to Italy and be back again January. I miss her and for a moment, I would like to trade off the hillstation trip just to see her. But what to do…it is all fated. It was a surprise visit from her and I wasn´t there to grap the suprises.












No comments: